May 27, 2005
 
damn spot

Well, it’s official: as of 7:30 p.m., in honour of the Boy’s bid to attend a cross-border teachers’ college, I have assumed a substantial loan. I’ve only had one other loan – a student loan – and I managed to pay that off within 2 years. This one’s going to be stuck on me like a clumsy sidekick for the next five years.

Several colleagues have urged me to apply for a university course that would kick me into the next pay category; the only downside is that I’d have to cancel/postpone our July road trip to StanFest and NYC. My union recently negotiated a contract that includes a one-time payment for professional development; essentially, I could get this course for free. The problem is that I’m buried in red tape. For the past week I’ve been frantically trying to get the paperwork together, only to be stymied at every turn by miserable bureaucracy. I’ve got a big hate-on for the Sodom Heights School Board right now. Not since I had to march in with my infant and demand my work record have I been so stonewalled by the endless machinations office workers. It’s like Brazil, but with fewer pneumatic tubes.

Oh well. If I don’t get into this course, all it’ll cost me is two weeks of aggravation and ten dollars for the transcript.

To make things even more aggravating, I happen to be mired in my Macbeth days (I am bloody-bowl’d, resolute and laugh to scorn the power of man). I’m now convinced that extended nursing is worth it at any price, just to reduce the amount of time I have to spend scrubbing out my clothing. (That’s my Lady Macbeth time. Keep up!)

Yesterday’s moment of impossible sweetness: I came home from work just as my mom was attempting to convince Blake to nap. I took this high-spirited boo downstairs to the bedroom and lay down with him. He giggled and chatted and was far, far too happy to settle down. At one point, he lay down and pulled me into a hug, which of course made me too happy to ever insist on sleep.

18 months of sleep deprivation? All. Worth. It.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 5/27/2005 09:54:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*