May 11, 2005
 
tired doesn't cover it

Oh MAN. Today was one of those days. Granted, every day this week feels like one of those days, simply because I feel like 10 pounds of snot in a 3-pound bag. (But why would snot be packaged in any pound increments?) Today was particularly heinous, as I gave the 10 Spikes a test.

I remember the day before my maternity leave, when my successor came in to meet the classes. I had a test that day for my 10 Spikes, and she was flabbergasted at the level of ignorance in the room. Not that my 10 Spikes are dumb. It's just that a few of them need about 15 repetitions of any one instruction before they get it. Today was one of those days when I've knocked myself out writing a clear, detailed test and still find myself explaining the same things individually to each student. At first I try to rephrase it; eventually I just start pointing mutely to the page. It's all there, buckos. Every last bullet and verb. All there in front of you. So drag your teeny tired eyes to the paper and READ IT!

I dunno. Some days your knowledge isn't enough. Some days they need to suck your blood and crunch your bones and drink your tears dry before they can find their way through the classroom hour. No wonder I'm reeling.

It's after dinner. Blake is running around in her afternoon ensemble: a pair of jeans and a food-spotted onesie. The Boy & I watch him motor around with affection.

the boy: He's so cute like that. His little bare feet and the onesie.
me: Yeah. He's got a real Stanley Kowalski charm. [I imitate the Blake to which I come home every day.] Mommy! MOMMY! NURSE!!
the boy: His bare feet are charming. The whole thing makes quite a statement.
me: [giggles] Actually, the statement is, 'I peed on my socks.'
the boy: When?
me: On the change table. As soon as I had his diaper off. He'll pee on everything.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 5/11/2005 08:07:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*