November 12, 2004
 
world goes 'splodey

This has been a terrible evening. It started its downward spiral when we got home from a few quick errands. Nic had driven my mother's car to work, and she was scheduled to work at 7 p.m. Could we lend her our car? I was happy to do it, but the Boy was a wreck – he'd planned on attending a local NaNoWriMo meet-up and had built his whole day around it. (I have to admit that enjoyed giving away the car as he'd promised to complete his university applications today and didn't. I kind of wanted him home and working on the next year of his life.) This sent the Boy into a huge sulk, and he retreated into the basement while I started baking the cake for tomorrow's birthday party. My parents managed to find a way to get my mother to work without taking our car, so I brought him upstairs to hear the happy news. Five minutes later, my mom told me that my rent cheque had bounced. The Boy left anyway.

For the next two hours I baked, took care of snotty Blake, and tried to figure out how we had brought our bank account so low. My solitude didn't help; I was free to blame the Boy for spending two months working for a messianic visionary who's paid him for two and a half weeks (so far). Why oh why was I the one baking? Why was I the only one worrying about our exploding finances? Why was I solely responsible for soothing a cranky clogged little baby? Why was I the only money maker when I hadn't worked for a full goddamned year?? Why was I the only one who did laundry for the family? And why was I the only one who cared?

Needless to say, I licked a lot of cream cheese icing off the beaters.

Now that my internet connection's been restored (oh yeah, it was out. I forgot to mention that little sliver of joy.) I've been able to find out through the miracle of online banking that I haven't received an EI payment since the end of August. No wonder my cheques are bouncing. No wonder my head hurts. Wait – that's probably the icing.

Hmmm. That didn't come out all doom and gloom. Maybe there's hope for me after all.

Late breaking news: as of now (midnight), the baby's been sleeping for 4 straight hours. Man, if he sleeps through the night because he has a cold, I will smile and kiss a pig.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 11/12/2004 11:59:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*