July 04, 2005
 
the frogurt is also cursed

The Blake is currently putting himself to bed. It seems like my life has been extraordinarily blessed at this moment. Other cool things about the Blake: he talks constantly, performing unstoppable monologues in the backseat and tunelessly reciting songs as he wanders around the house; he eats just about everything except raw veggies and potatoes of any description; and his favourite change table companion is Che Guevara. If he starts fussing about an immanent diaper change I can calm him down immediately by showing him the Che doll. He thinks it’s the height of comedy.

A conversation with Blake

Scene: bedtime. Blake struggles mightily as I try to get him into his jammies.

me: No honey, it’s okay. Look, it’s Winnie the Pooh on your pj’s. It’s Pooh bear. You’re going to sleep with Pooh tonight.

He submits. We read a few stories. He falls asleep. Cut to the next morning; we are sitting on the couch reading If I Ran the Circus. Blake starts grunting and clutching his tummy.

me: Blake, honey, are you pooping? Do you need to sit on the potty?

blake: points to his shirt Pooh.

me: That’s right, Winnie the Pooh is on your shirt. But are you pooping?

blake: frowning with utmost severity I sleep with Pooh.

Today was my first day at the AQ course. As I summarize my morning I want you to remember Homer Simpson buying a cursed doll for his child, and fill in the appropriate response.

I was a half-hour late for the course because the time & location were changed. That’s bad. But I’m in a smaller, cooler building. That’s good. They’ve divided up the big class into smaller groups; I’m in a small class with Princess. I’m one of the few to get the book and I’m really interested in the course material; there’s a lot of homework and I seem to be the only one with a small child added to my workload. Almost everyone is really friendly; Princess won’t look at me. I get to be downtown on my favourite campus in the summer; I have a long transit commute. I’m finishing lots of knitting; people are giving my knitting weird looks. The Boy packed an excellent lunch; I’m surfing the crimson tide and not digesting well. I gave $3 to two panhandlers. (Can I go now?)

I got off the frigid bus into an afternoon so humid that my glasses steamed up immediately. The Boy & the Blake came to pick me up from the bus station and there’s nothing quite like Blake’s welcome-home smile. I’m happy. I think I’m really going to learn something in this course, something that will make me a much better teacher. All that and 16 glorious days on the U of T campus. Score!

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 7/04/2005 08:37:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*