January 01, 2005
 
happy new year!

Our "sbemail.exe" DVD's came in the mail yesterday. The Boy is in raptures. It's funny...I bought it for him for the extras, but even more than those he's enjoying the opportunity to see the cartoons on a really big screen. I have to say, there's something special about seeing mile all large.

Blake is (as always) in a really interesting developmental phase right now. His latest trick is to bang his head repeatedly against the wall or floor, grinning all the while. It's a little unsettling; I've chosen to ignore it, hoping that it'll go away on its own. Other than the head-bonking itself, it doesn't seem too worrying - he's not agitated, he doesn't hit very hard, and he grins like he's making a joke. The Boy, however, has a mental movie that goes something like this:

Blake in 20 years, coming through a door: Guess what, Mom & Dad? MIT is giving me a full scholarship!

(head bonk)

Scene resets. Blake enters: Hey Mom & Dad! I've been accepted to York!

(head bonk)

Scene resets. Blake enters: Mom! Dad! I got my last credit for high school!

And so on.

Last night we went to the Caveat's house for New Year's. Once again we just invited ourselves over (see: Neil & Lane's house, 2 years ago), and once again we had an excellent time. Although there was some game talk, I was able to avoid most of it and just talk mommy with Lane, talk pregnancy with Opera Sarah & Leo, and tell jokes with Jen & Disco Stu. Ali & the Caveat were fantastic hosts, especially considering that they didn't really invite us over. They made us feel very welcome...and all it took was a chocolate cake bribe. (Or as I said when I was a bit in my cups: "This recipe is for a double chocolate snack cake! Does it get better than those four words?!")

I took the opportunity to dress outrageously, having few chances to do so in my baby-goo-encrusted life. The funny thing was that it was all hand-me-downs: Little Spider's dress & 'net shirt, laddered fishnets from my grandmother & Stacy's big bad black boots. The only items original to me were the underwear and the black nursing bra (I have 3 black nursing bras. How chi chi am I?) And although I was reeeediculously overdressed, I did have fun tottering around the party, looking about as un-mom-like as I could get. It was also hilarious when Opera Sarah arrived and took over the boots for a few minutes. With her height and pregnancy, the boots created a nigh-overwhelming sight. Ka-pow.

Opera Sarah is...
Lilypie Baby Ticker

The Boy also had an excellent time; not only did he talk all night, but he took the rare opportunity to get very, very drunk. By the time we stomped into the car, I was weary with laughing and storytelling and smiling. This year my resolution is to go to more parties at this house.

(I mean, we'd want to even if the Caveat hadn't gone out of his way to tell us how wonderful he considers Blake. But that don't hurt.)

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 1/01/2005 03:15:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*