December 31, 2004
 
the year

I cannot get the "Urinetown" soundtrack out of my head. Nic bought it for me this year, and for a long blissful week I've been blasting it from every stereo. Unfortunately, there was a bad skip in almost every song in the second act, so we sent it back yesterday. I'm between copies and it's killing me. I blowdry my hair and sing the Act One Finale over the sound of the dryer. I bathe Blake and sing "Cop Song." I fold laundry and sing "Don't be the Bunny."

It's awesome that a soundtrack can get so far under my skin, but it's driving me utterly insane. I would really like the tuner in my head to shut off for a night.

Last night we were invited to two gatherings: a Tym:J gather in Kensington and Stacy's birthday on Yonge. Just our luck - we come into the city maybe once every two months, and we get two invites on the same night. Worse still that they were both compelling & fun. With Tym I drank a cocktail, chatted with old acquaintances and waited around while everyone else smoked. With Stacy I drank a cocktail, chatted with new acquaintances and won a prize at dirty bingo. I'm still amazed that I won anything, and more amazed that I was ready to take off my shirt to stay in the running. (I didn't have to. But I would've.) I also crawled across the floor to Stacy when she beckoned, an action the both of us found highly amusing. "I know something's going on when she does that," she laughed.

Clearly I need to drink more often to build up a tolerance or not at all, because strange things happen these days when I tip my wrist.

Year End Meme

  1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?

    Moderated a mother's group. Carved a turkey. Learned to read to a very small child.

  2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

    Did I have New Year's resolutions? I think at the time my biggest resolution was don't die. I was pretty ill leading up to New Year's Eve. So yes. I did keep it.

  3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

    I know a lot of moms through Baby Club and a few with 2004 babies (like Andrea & Cheryl) are closer than others - but I didn't actually know them before they gave birth. Does that count? Lane gave birth this year to much celebration and Monstre gave birth to much sorrow.

  4. Did anyone close to you die?

    Nope. Went to a few family funerals, though. And I think we were all saddened by Loftwyr & Monstre's loss.

  5. What countries did you visit?

    The U.S. of A. and Alberta (almost another country!)

  6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?

    A satisfying career.

  7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?

    So many of Blake's milestones are embedded in my memory. First birthday - baptism - first word - first trip - first food mooch...I could go on. And of course, the day I stood up for Preacher.

  8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

    Pulling out of postpartum depression without the use of drugs.

  9. What was your biggest failure?

    I only had little failures this year, mostly out of thoughtlessness. The mommy brain persists.

  10. Did you suffer illness or injury?

    Postpartum depression was all. Although there's a lot that can be said about that "all."

  11. What was the best thing you bought?

    Baskets from Ikea!! Oh yeah!

  12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?

    The Boy, who has become a wonderfully giving & intuitive father.

  13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?

    Um. Best not to say. No one you know. Mostly mine when it comes to that.

  14. Where did most of your money go?

    Rent. And I paid off my student loan this year. (Hurrah!)

  15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?

    Baskets from Ikea! And every milestone Blake has smashed through. Especially the milestones that involve baskets from Ikea!

  16. What song will always remind you of 2004?

    "The Wheels on the Bus," 'cause that's the first song to which Blake ever responded. "The Green Grass Grew All Around," because I can change out of my swim suit and into dry clothes without touching the wet baby sitting on the bench. "This Night Has Opened My Eyes," because I was captivated with it while in the throes of postpartum depression.

  17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
    1. happier or sadder?

      Happier! Much happier. Much healthier, too.

    2. thinner or fatter?

      Thinner? I didn't lost the last 10 pounds until February, I think. Much thinner than 2 years ago.

    3. richer or poorer?

      Richer, kind of. We pay less for rent and utilities and gas this year.

  18. What do you wish you'd done more of?

    Nap with Blake. See our friends.

  19. What do you wish you'd done less of?

    Try to take pictures with a slow camera. Cut my hair.

  20. How will you be spending Christmas?

    How did I, you mean? I spent it at home, hosting dinner for my relatives. It was relaxed and mostly excellent.

  21. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?

    We invited ourselves to The Caveat's house. We are rapscallions - but we're bringing cake.

  22. Did you fall in love in 2004?

    With Blake.

  23. How many one-night stands?

    Who has the energy? Plus, I'm on call all night. Babies are excellent guarantors of monogamy.

  24. What was your favourite TV program?

    This year it was "Angel," because I've used up all the "Buffy." The Boy fell in love with some wacky cartoons and "Corner Gas."

  25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?

    I don't really hate anyone I know. Frustrated, yes, with a few. Disappointed, yes, with a few more. But not hated.

  26. What was the best book you read?

    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, although I need to re-read. It's a long book for someone who has to read in short bursts.

  27. What was your greatest musical discovery?

    Urinetown! (Am I lame?)

  28. What did you want and get?

    An extension for my maternity leave.

  29. What did you want and not get?

    More time with my friends. Sleep. A closer mom gang. A steady educational job for the Boy.

  30. What was your favourite film of this year?

    Troy because it was such a surprise that I liked it at all. Fallen Angels was brutal but excellent.

  31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?

    I turned 28 as quietly as I can: at a Cure concert, wearing bunny ears.

  32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?

    A real choice to return to work, instead of being pushed by financial necessity.

  33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?

    Encrusted with baby goo.

  34. What kept you sane?

    The Blake. The Boy. Nesting in our refurbished basement. Attachment parenting books by Dr. Sears. Not worrying about my diet. Exercising more or less regularly. And my many mom contacts.

  35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?

    None.

  36. What political issue stirred you the most?

    Same-sex marriages. It's such a non-issue that I can't believe we still have to talk about it.

  37. Who did you miss?

    Scherezade, off in Europe. Most of my other friends who are considerably closer.

  38. Who was the best new person you met?

    Hmm. Andrea, I guess. She makes me happy to be around. I feel like I could tell her anything. And I love her daughter.

  39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:

    Sleep when you can. Eat what you're offered. Take no offence when none is given. And don't rant about people on LiveJournal without identifying them unless you want to see it come back three-fold.

  40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

    "These days I sit and think a lot about the things that I forgot to do."




Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*