June 27, 2004
 
lots of marvelous things to eat & wonderful games to play

Yesterday I finally got my copy of The No Cry Sleep Solution from the library. Today we analyze current practices; tomorrow we develop a plan. Blake’s night waking is making me insane. I’m angry & hungry & exhausted all the time. This book was recommended by two separate people and the title seems to be stalking me so I decided to give it a go. I can't get any more tired, right? Right??

I’ll transcribe the log tomorrow so you can see what a typical day is like.

Today seemed far from typical, but then again as I learned when I was writing down my diet for Hectate, all days feel like an exception. We went to church in the morning, an important step since we’ve committed to a confirmation date later this summer. And while I’d much prefer to have him welcomed into a community in which we’re active & committed members, I’m not going to fall in love with a new congregation as long as we’re living here. Besides, I was raised in this church community but baptized elsewhere; this is kind of like committing myself retroactively.

After church my mother, the Boy, the baby & myself drove down to the old part of town for the Kiwanis Teddy Bear’s Picnic. Blake slept through most of our time there, and, much like the zoo, he’ll be able to get a lot more out of it when he’s a toddler. Still, it was well-run, interesting & cheerful – I certainly didn’t mind eating one dollar hotdogs on the grass while the Sprout snoozed in his stroller. (I find it amazing how quickly & thoroughly inflatable rides can transform an ordinary event into a carnival. I wonder what anyone did for fun before the bouncy castle?)

After Blake woke up, we had time for a quick diaper change before the parade started. It was a bit like the caucus in Alice In Wonderland: we all marched in a circle and anyone could join or drop out at any time. I marched in time with my baby, my head thrown back in song & my pink monster sweater worn proudly. And then I stopped. One circuit weaving through toddlers & teddies was entirely enough, thank you.

There was a big teddy named Cuddles, but I couldn’t get its attention to hug the baby. I think I just missed a golden opportunity; by next year Blake’ll be big enough to feel horror at the sight of such a huge cute bear closing in on his tender flesh. Yes...there's lots of wonderful things to see, but safer to stay at home.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 6/27/2004 09:43:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*