May 16, 2004
 
dirt angels

Mmm. Good, tiring weekend. Saturday was Dirkday, the day set aside to distract him from his recent break-up with fun outings. It took a bit of wrangling, but we managed to squeeze in greasy brunch at KOS, a short sit by the Peace fountain, a long ramble in the Old Clothing Sale and a baby-less viewing of "Troy." (This was the first time I've been away from Blake for longer than an hour since Dirk's birthday; I had a moment during the previews when I wanted to grab the keys and break for home. Fortunately, my moment of cowardice passed and I was able to enjoy My Big Fat Greek Epic.)

The ironic thing was that Dirk is more-or-less over his most recent exgirlf, so the day was most useful in comforting me. Every little variance from my normal mommy routine makes me feel giddy, like I'm vacationing in my former identity. Vacationing is all that it is, for no matter what candy-striped tights I wear, I still have to wash spit up off my skull t-shirt. It's particularly weird to browse for clothes these days; the mental lag is incredible. I honestly don't know if anything will fit my new self. As I told the nice lady at the Minx booth, I'm in-between bodies these days. Add in the nursing requirement and you'll realize why I've started raiding the Boy's drawers instead of buying anything new for myself. Still, I did find a lovely black-and-white mod dress that zips down the front, and if it still looks good on me in a week, I may have to buy it for my summer weddings. Even with my strange new hybrid body, I can still find the occasional nice thing.

Today we went to church, despite Blake's terrific new habit of refusing to sleep in the night (forget sleeping through the night; I'd be happy if he just promptly went to sleep after every one of the dozen times he squirms awake.) I'm making a conscious effort to drag our asses into church this summer. I want Blake to be baptized and I want it to mean something (dammit!). That said, I find this experience painful when compared to our beloved Wolfvegas congregation. Sigh.

After the ritual hobnobbing over coffee, we snapped the babe into overalls, grabbed three sunhats, and trekked on down to Loftwyr & Monstre's backyard for some gardening fun. Unfortunately, there was no dirt to play with, so we ate lots of food & hung out in the sun with the rest of the Dirt Angels. I was of little to no use outdoors, as most of my time was spent consoling a very cranky baby who didn't get enough sleep. But we were useful on two fronts: the Boy was crazy garden-edging, stump-chopping man...and Blake raised everyone's morale. As the mascot-tender, my life was slightly less glamorous. Still, someone's got to sing silly songs and eat expensive, greasy chicken. I'm just glad I get to do it.

"I can't believe you called 'Trixie.'" – I express my envy after nocturnalia snags the best dirt angel name

"We went out for ice cream and an axe. It sounded like a crazy adventure." – stacy explains why she had to go along

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 5/16/2004 10:20:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*