April 18, 2004
 
wood

My hard drive is a piece of wood right now. It’s fairly depressing – I have no idea what’s wrong with it, only that it’s in a coma of sorts. Until I find out what’s going on, I will myself not to despair. I survived the 300-dollar laptop explosion of 2001 and I can survive this. There’s no point in getting all worked up, right? Right.

It’s been an interesting couple of days. I’ve been really hungry & tired this week, so most of my waking hours are geared towards the acquisition of food and naps. It’s giving me a whole new insight into Blakers, except that I’ve also mastered the fine art of sitting up and walking to the fridge. Then again, I’m not as cute as the Boo. I don’t have to be.

We gave him his first haircut this week. I’m kind of ambivalent about the whole experience – I really wanted the fun of hacking at his little Sampson-esque tendrils, but at some point I became a spectator and my mom became the main actor. Suck. Also, I think that his hair looks kind of dorky now, but I’m probably grossly misremembering how cool his hair was before the cut. I mean, baby hair: it’s not like it can keep a part or a shape or anything. (No pictures until I get my computer again. Sorry.)

(A word about my mother: for the sake of balance, I should say that my portraits of her are manifestly unfair as I’m most motivated to write when I’m angriest. You all only get to hear about hijacked haircuts, not about countless afternoons when we’re completely in domestic synch, or the other afternoons when she’s taken me out & bought lunch. There’s a very weird tension between us right now. It comes & goes at odd times. It’s not a bad thing, but it does make us do bad things from time to time. I’m hoping that our relationship will become less complicated when I move out, but that’s probably wishful thinking.)

Today we met Little Spider & Spike in a funked out café in Parkdale. I love seeing LS with Blake. Somewhere along the line I forgot how much fun she had with Toad as a baby. She really does like to play, and I think that newborn Blake was a bit too tiny & delicate & overwhelming. Spike isn’t a baby guy, but I’ll break him in. Now we just have to hang out way more often.

me: ”Morgan & I belong to the Surprise Pregnancy Club. You have to join, too!”

ls: ”Uh, no!”

me: “I took 10 years to join. You have lots of time.”

My only problem with lunch today was that it wasn’t filling. Just like Thursday at Dish, I had to get a second lunch on the way home. I know, it’s weird. I didn’t eat close to this much when I was pregnant – only before that when I was hopped up on happy pills. But I’m not too worked up. Everything I’ve read on the subject of postpartum healing stresses the same thing: eat to your appetite but don’t overindulge on junk. Come to think, they said the same thing about being pregnant. Spoilsports.

Well, I should wrap this up & join the boys. They’re trying to squeeze a win for the Leafs with some sympathetic magic (Blake is wearing a Leafs sleeper.) It doesn’t seem terribly effective, but it’s cotton and at least he won’t wake up sweaty.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 4/18/2004 10:03:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*