April 06, 2004
 
i can't get behind that

So, it's been almost a week. Days go by. I don't write. The scary part is that it's not. Scary, that is. It's just starting to feel okay to live an unexamined life. I mean, who cares, anyway? I've been writing for 7 years and I get the most positive feedback from a baby wearing my glasses.

Ah, I'm not really complaining. Just trying to justify all the lethargy.

So my crap week ended with an abrupt upturn. On Friday night I left the Boo for the first time & drove in for the Rollins show. I loved being all dressed up in sassy black clothes. I loved hanging around with adults. I loved loved loved the three solid hours of Henry Rollins spouting off about every single thing that's crossed his mind in the last 2 years. I loved hanging out with the Boy & Birthday Boy Dirk. And I loved the after part, when we retired to Ein-stein's (!!) for a celebratory pint. By the time we drove home, everything was warm and slick with rain and utterly terrific. Once again, I've rediscovered that the best buzz is a combination of good friends, good times & a little bit of beer.

We spent the entire weekend travelling down to Windsor and visiting with my relatives. No, I don't really want to talk about it. Suffice it to say that I spent my Saturday night trying to keep my other cousin's 2-year-old from killing Blake in her earnest desire to help while the Boy went to my cousin's stag. Man, 2-year-olds are tiny little savages. They have no frigging clue how to get on with the rest of the world. It's kind of wonderful in its own way.

(The Boy tells me that the stag was no great happy fun time either. He claims that his high point was choking on a jello shooter because it made my cousin laugh uncontrollably. Yep. Good times.)

I also had the treat of sharing a hotel room with my parents. Now, I wake up several times a night with the Boo. I'm a light sleeper, but as long as everything is peaceful, I can fall asleep again relatively quickly. Not so when you add in three other adults who snore. Usually when the Boy snores, I just poke him until he turns over. This was obviously not a workable solution.

The savage justice part was that no one got a good night's sleep. The next day I got to hear about how loud Blake is and how often they woke up to his crying. Yeah, well, tough gophers, guys. I've been waking up with him for 4 months and I don't get any time off for good behaviour.

The last few days have been spent cleaning like crazy. I love having houseguests because my house gets wicked clean! I know I say this every time I clean up, but here goes: I really feel like I've moved into this basement now. Of course, as soon as we clean out the closet I'll feel like we've really and truly moved in. And when I get my books from upstairs, then it'll be cool. You get the idea.

I suppose that my overall point is that I really like living in this space. There's a forced simplicity to making our life work in 2 rooms; it clarifies the thinking process immensely. In our last apartment, we never quite made it work. And lacking that momentum, we just got worse as the months went on. Whereas now that I'm living here, I feel like things are just getting better & better.

Scherezade thinks I should write a book. Hmm.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 4/06/2004 11:15:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*