March 12, 2005
 
meet the new guy

Whew. Thank God it's

My students asked me what I'd be doing. I said, 'getting a haircut.' I figured that the other answers (taking care of Blake, seeing my friends & knitting) would be even more boring. Everyone else in the English department (save Samuel) had an exciting jet set vacation planned for this week; many to the same resort in the Dominican. I guess it's the perfect opportunity to get jealous, but I'm not interested in all-inclusive packages where the only thing to do is drink, tan & feel guilty about the developing world's poverty that has allowed me to have such a cheap vacation.

(The Boy says that I should distribute copies of Jamaica Kincaid's A Small Place when everyone gets back. I'm sure I'd be real popular after that.)

My cousin had her baby this week, and yesterday we finally marshaled our resources to get over there and see the new arrival. Blake (a.k.a. Captain Past His Prime) was an absolute terror; he was totally over-stimulated by the small cluttered apartment, and he spent the whole visit eating dog biscuits, pressing buttons on the phone & the teevee remote, and trying to push the baby off my lap so that he could nurse. Charming. But he did manage a version of the baby's name, so that when we left he started saying, "bye Enzo! Bye Enzo!" Too cute.

Visiting this little guy made me understand everyone's reactions when I had Blake. I'm loving this new muffin, although he did make me appreciate my big baby (Blake's abilities to amuse himself, move through the house, and sit safely in the bathtub are the greatest achievements of mankind.) I was also appreciative of my cousin's easy-going attitude; I visited Rosalind & her twins on Thursday and I did not get the feeling that she was comfortable letting other people hold her babies. My cousin, on the other hand, didn't turn a hair when I lay down on the couch with her baby snoozing on my chest.

(Aside: her husband deserves the "World's Most Tactless Husband" award: he was heard on the phone describing the immediate aftermath of the birth "like a bomb went off in [his wife's] crotch." Now that's a class act.)


sweet enzo. your daddy's a jerk but your mama's good looking

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 3/12/2005 03:57:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*