March 01, 2005
 
sleepy snow day

Argh. I’m hopelessly backlogged. My cold has rendered me soft & sucky, and I’m barely managing to keep moving to and from my various duties. As you may imagine, many things have fallen by the way-side, such as writing, socializing and watching Season 4 of “Angel” (sucking so far, so I don’t really care.) Today is a snow day, which has meant remarkably little around here as I feel so damned sick anyway. Mom went out this morning, so I was in charge of Blake until noon. I had a moment of panic around 10:15, when I tried to remember what we used to do all day and couldn’t. Luckily Blake’s sickness has created a lot of stinky laundry, so I was able to stablize myself with load after load after load. (How did my life get to the place where I work harder on my weekends and holidays than I do during the week? I feel horribly ripped off.)

Blake developed his fever on Saturday, thus scuttling our plans to visit with the Boy’s mom & her husband (and coincidentally with Pixie, who made it up this weekend to pick up the Rat). The Boy & I were also ill as I mentioned, so cocooning suited us just fine. We were so short & snappish with each other at home that I wonder if we’d be tolerated out in public. Ah, the angst of a working family, can you dig it?

We spent most of our weekend like this:

We had a terrific visit with Pixie, though, as she was unafraid of germies and came to our refurbished basement to hang with the Blake. She has never seen the walking-talking version, so even though he was listless and kind of sad, she got a big kick out his exploits. (He managed to repeat his stellar “nothing” performance of last week, which is very odd as he is famously resistant to performing on cue.)

We, on the other hand, got a big kick out of the news that she and Joe are tying the knot two summers hence in an exotic locale. The three places they are considering (Grand Canyon, New Orleans & Hawaii) are all on my “oooh! Can we go?!” list. (Although it’s kind of a shame that I didn’t get to New Orleans when I was younger, thinner, witchier, drunker, and, in Preacher’s memorable phrase, “[basing my] life on Anne Rice novels and second-hand clothes.”)

We tried to join the Saturday night trip for karaoke, but had to throw in the towel at 11:30 when all we really wanted to do was collapse into bed. Besides, I can’t really enjoy sketchy Korean karaoke without Noizangel’s forays into “American Idol” hits. She brings the fun in.

Our general family illness also kept us from visiting Opera Sarah & Leo’s new baby girl on Sunday, as by that time Blake’s symptoms had morphed from fever to diarrhea. In the interests of maintaining our friendship with S & L, we put ourselves in quarantine. No one wants that around a 4-day-old. I did get in a long chat with Sarah, who sounds exactly the way she did pre-mommy. I was astounded by her tale of auto-hypnosis during the birth – I need me some of that mind-mojo if I ever lose my marbles & decide to get knocked up again.

I’m done for now. In the meantime, check out last last weekend’s post-partum brunch pictures, courtesy of Flickr. Flickr! Saving you from having to bore your co-workers with actual photographs of your off-spring.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 3/01/2005 07:33:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*