October 06, 2004
 
puppet luck

I made good progress on my first puppet today. It wasn't quite as big as I'd wanted it to be (I forgot to leave room for the third dimension), so I decided to make it a puppet for and looking like Blake. To this end I had enormous fun sewing up a felt t-shirt for this little guy. Pictures coming when I sew the face (it looks kind of creepy without the face).

Terrible, awful day in exercise class. Last week I complained that my baby is the only mobile guy in a tiny room. I thought that if I stayed away from tiny babies, brought toys, and held him during the cardio routine, he might let me do the toning stretches. No dice.

It's not that he's a bad baby. He just gets frustrated when he's not allowed to move around. I can't blame him either; if I were hauled back the minute I took two crawls toward something interesting, I'd have a freak-out too. But that doesn't change the fact that I signed up for an exercise class and I'm not getting any exercise while I keep my baby away from all of the neatly dressed cooing lumps. (I have never had a baby who would sit quietly in a car seat for an hour, or who would lie still on the floor and then fall asleep spontaneously. Never.)

The instructor actually adds to my frustration: she keeps the (fascinating) stereo on the floor where Blake can easily reach it, and whenever he crawls over to her, she looks to me for rescue. I asked for a playpen next week. If I can't get some sort of happy confinement for the Boo, I'll have to un-register. It's utterly ridiculous to bust ass in the morning getting to an exercise class that is structured so that I cannot participate.

Got a phonecall from Little Spider to tell me about an upcoming Hallowe'en party. Somehow, I never thought when we were teenagers that she would ever call me from a high-tech design company while I wore sweatpants & chased after a snotty rugrat. Then again, I don't know what I pictured. Just not that.

Finally, Trixie the Distracted Diva has written a fascinating analysis of Attachment Parenting (which she labels flawed, classist, Colonial & sexist). I have never read her journal before today, but this entry (September 27; I can't link directly) has really made me think. I'm still AP-identified, but many of her points hit uncomfortably close to home. Be sure to read the comments section for some more discussion of the topic at hand.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 10/06/2004 10:33:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*