September 05, 2004
 
brilliance

Blake did the coolest thing this week & I totally forgot to write about it. See, the thing you have to know is that little Miss Eva doesn't dig strangers. The older and more self-assured she gets, the less tolerant she is of manhandling by anyone other than her parents. That's cool – I mean, when you think about the way we treat babies, it makes sense that a few of them would demand a greater share of respect. But it makes some things difficult. For instance, when Steph goes to the bathroom, the big trick is to comfort Eva without touching her.

This all happened on Wednesday afternoon when Steph was in the bathroom changing out of her swimsuit. Eva was sitting on the floor next to 2 books: Blue Hat, Green Hat and our beloved Brown Bear. Blake was next to me, about 2 feet away. Eva had just noticed that Steph was gone, and had begun to make an agitated hooting noise of dismay. I sought to gain her attention, again without touching her.

"Eva. Eva," I pitched my voice low, trying not to freak her out. "Do you want to read a story? Do you know Brown Bear? Brown Bear, Brown Bear, what do you see?" Blake looks up at me and grins. I smile back. "Blake knows Brown Bear. Do you want to read Brown Bear? I..."

I trail off when I realize that Blake has crawled over to the two books, placed his hand on Brown Bear, and scooted it over to me. The universe grinds to a halt, perpetual motion in the heavens stalled out by my baby's brilliance. You probably noticed something at the time.

Like, wow.

We spent the day pleasurably with Loftwyr & Monstre & Stacy & a number of others. I had invited ourselves for brunch, but we were terrifically late arriving, and both Maggie & Stacy duly chastised us. Sometimes there aren't enough hours in a day; especially when church is an hour later than it should be. (But we have to be there: we're committed (or possibly commitable).)

When Stacy headed out, we snatched up the householders & carried them off to Diaper-eez. (I used to go to the Savage Garden every weekend. Now I go to a baby store. I don't know what to think about that.) Monstre made a registry while Loftwyr browsed the toys, the Boy held Blake & I tried to find a present for Orion. (We're grooming Loftwyr & Monstre to be our parent friends, which fits so well with the way we bonded.) Anyway, it was tonnes of fun, especially the "Loftwyr learns how to use a sling and butts heads with the owner" parts. Hee hee hee.

And then I was indulged, and got to visit my beloved Bread & Roses for macaroons and also got to introduce Monstre to the joys of the turkey sandwich. Yummmm. It was a nearly perfect afternoon, marred only by Stacy's necessary absence. I'm not sure that she would've enjoyed spending a couple of hours in a baby store, but I'm sure she would've liked the cookies that came after.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 9/05/2004 10:35:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*