August 23, 2004
 
Jesused-up camp counsellor

Remember how the Boy & I were going to spend an hour each day communicating with one another? You know, hold hands, stare deeply into each other's eyes and not share any news gleaned from the Utne Reader? We've been doing it for 2 days now, and I've only just realized how long an hour can be. On the first day we sat down with our calendars & spent a spirited 15 minutes scheduling the next 6 weeks or so. And then we looked at each other, looked at the clock, and said, "so..." a lot.

Yesterday we were exhausted by Vacation Bible School, so we spent our hour watching a Season 4 episode of Buffy.

Yep. We're on the Communication Highway. Romance is the next exit. Sigh.

VBS, BTW, wasn't too bad. I didn't really enjoy myself, as I always take lessons far too seriously & forget I'm a Jesused-up camp counsellor. But I did like most of my kids, and I did learn how to pare down the material to an appropriate length after I twice ran wildly overtime. Blake also did pretty well, considering he was passed around like a new toy all morning and considering that he whimpers for me a lot more often these days. I had originally planned to sling him all day (our theme is tropical island, which is very appropriate to a slung baby), but my mom commandeered the little general and he spent most of his morning in the kitchen. I kind of missed him as I was directing my 8 year olds through the activities; it was a gloomy prelude of returning to "real" work when I'd rather be home with my boo.

It was the Boy who had the best day: he spent his whole morning running around with a squirt bottle and ended his rounds sweaty, wild-eyed, and completely satisfied with himself. He was so happy that he agreed to come with me to our Mother Goose program, where he distinguished himself in the group storytelling exercise. Tonight's plan for couple hour is to write down the story of the angry crab, the stubborn brother, and the fishing trip that went all wrong. I think it'll make a great little book for Blakers.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 8/23/2004 08:04:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*