January 20, 2004
 
and then. and then. and then.

Very, very good day. Blake & I slept late, though not as late as we usually go (the fact that I was mobile 2 hours ahead of schedule was a victory in itself!). We got up, he nursed, I changed his diaper, he nursed some more, I changed his diaper again, we went upstairs so I could eat something, and he surprised me by lying quietly on the kitchen table while I ate old leftovers and new melon. Then he got cranky again (smile), so I walked around with him & sang U2 songs (hampered by my extremely limited knowledge of U2 lyrics) until he went to sleep. He slept long enough for me to get a shower, and then we nursed some more.

The very best part was that after all of this, after a complete, happy & productive morning in which I did it all on my own (although for the sake of accuracy, I have to report that my mom watched him from 8:30 to 10:30 this morning while I slept), I bundled up the baby & took him on a walk! Okay, so the only thing worth walking to is a 7-11 (and that causes me to expand the boundaries of the phrase "worth walking to" to the point where it's almost meaningless). But it did allow me to mail 2 important packages & one bill payment, inquire about the charge to mail a fair-sized baby to Chicago, & buy 4 sheets of penny stamps (I have so many stamps from the year I got married that I'll never ever have to buy current stamps. In consequence, I'm the penny stamp queen!). We walked the whole way by ourselves. Actually, he slept both ways, despite the frigid weather. It's that walking/being carried motion – so close to the womb that it puts him out every time. He was so calm in the convenience store that I thought about plopping him on the postal scale and sending him to see Aunt Pixie in Chicago. "Now, be a good package Sprout. Your auntie loves you very much and this is the only cheap way to see her."

Fortunately, wiser heads prevailed and the Sprout does not have a stamp on his head. Yet.

Despite being a short n' crappy trip to a gas station, it was tremendously freeing. I did something on my own and everything went like a greased Scotsman. My new goal is to get to the post-partum group this Thursday. Unfortunately for me, the mommy movie that morning is "Big Fish," which I desperately want to see. Still, in the choice between seeing new moms & seeing Ewan McGreggor, I'll chose new moms. This kind of friendly contact & support can help stave off postpartum depression. Sanity is such a deal-breaker.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 1/20/2004 09:59:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*