September 19, 2005
 
so many other names

My 9 Xanders were INSANE today. They were like bees, boiling out of a shook-up hive. I haven’t had a class that bad in years. I honestly don’t know how I’m going to make myself heard in that shit.

Ironically, Little Spider told me this weekend that she could never do what I do without throttling a few students every day. At the time I felt a warm glow of accomplishment: my job was difficult, but comfortable! And now I’m so tense that my shoulders are up about my ears. I had to knit the whole night to unkink even a little bit; writing this paragraph has knotted them into muffs again.

This was a silly kind of weekend. On Saturday the Rocketfamily went to the local Fall Fair, there to see the crafts, the rides, the food, the animals, the clowns… You know. Fall fair stuff. It really took me back to our Wolfvegas days; not only did our fall fairing remind me of when we had nothing better to do, but we also got lost in Caledon and found farmland eerily reminiscent of the view along the Ridge Road.

The nostalgia was the best thing about it, though. The Boy was in a crap mood and I spent most of our visit alternating between hurt feelings and an attempt to ignore it and let him cheer up in his own time. Neither of these reactions made me very happy.

Blake seemed to enjoy himself; he was a little irritated that he wasn’t allowed to run free through the fairgrounds, but he found 101 things to enjoy and destroy when we deigned to let him out of his stroller.

In the early evening we went to a cousin’s birthday, an affair that managed to be both boring and depressing due to many factors, not the least of which was that the birthday boy and his cousin-peers spent most of the party closeted in the basement, watching performance records of a stranger playing a video game. (I’ve wasted a lot of time, but yeesh. That takes the cupcake.) When the veal and the strawberry cake were consumed, the Boy & I left Blake in the care of my parents and headed downtown for Little Spider’s birthday.

It seems like it’s been a long time since I spent an evening in a pub. Although I knew very few people, I managed to spent the whole night in happy (somewhat tipsy) conversation and we left early but in an excellent mood, Joy Division unspooling through the dark streets behind us. I have to say: it was nice to be somewhere where I felt interesting & loved, and I can’t help but smile when I think back to it. I’m glad I bothered knitting her a birthday gift; it seems like an appropriate tribute after 15 years of watching LS be the arty one. (She’s still the arty one, I’m just in a small corner of craftiness.)

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 9/19/2005 09:32:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*