September 17, 2005
 
self-indulgence

"It used to be the dust that would lay here when I came here alone..."

Saturday mornings are for sleeping, drinking tea and listening to the Cure. Blake is having a nap and I am indulging myself.

This morning we got up waaaaay too early (4:30!!) and I tried to keep Blake asleep through light deprivation and as much nursing as he could want. It didn't work, but my dad was up at 6 and he sent me to bed. Aaahhhh. Two more hours of sleep and I could appreciate the charming way Blake has fallen in love with my Death notebook: he remembers it from our trip to NY, carrying it from room to room and occasionally paging through its leaves. (He's tried the same thing with my knitting notebook, but that volume is much less impressive-softcover to Death's hardcover and full of really boring pattern modifications and ideas for future projects. Whenever I want him to put down the knitting notebook, I offer to read it to him. He squirms out of my lap without fail before I can even get to the purls.)

Friday was chaos. The Terry Fox run was held indoors due to rain, and almost half my 11 Faiths failed to show up at all. At least every one who got there in the first place stayed; we spent 2 hours watching "Bowling for Columbine" and marvelling at the insensitivity of the NRA. (The only caveat I have about showing that movie to my students is that it's far too easy to fall into an "us vs. them" mentality as Michael Moore uses a somewhat sanitized Canada as his foil to the gun-crazy Americans (where was Ralph Klein in the shiny-happy parade of moderate, caring Cdn. Politicians?) Sometimes my students get overly smug, which worries me.) One of the VP's was on the announcements reading lists of late teachers, so we had to stop the movie again and again while she rattled on. Even the kids were getting frustrated.

There are new teachers this year who are getting a full dose of the Three-Stooges-firedrill style of the administration. Theresa's of the opinion that some of them are going to leave as soon as they can. I can't blame them; I'd be gone if I'd had another offer.

But the good thing is that the 11 Willows are still loving me and even the 9 Xanders aren't totally out to lunch. Like I said this week, I think I can do this and not feel my soul whither n' die in the process. Nice.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 9/17/2005 02:06:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*