February 14, 2005
 
can't talk; knitting

I have three Valentines this year. The Boy.

The Blake.

And the Scarf.

I am loving this knit. Today I arrived at school to find the buses cancelled, and my first thought was not, why did I get out of bed? but, why didn't I bring my knitting? It happens that I was all caught up on my work, but even if I were behind I think I'd be sacrificing the school work in favour of a long scarf-making session. Or is that a scarf make-out session? Who knows. I'm in love.

On Saturday my parents went out for a long Valentine's luncheon. While they were gone, Blake & I were hanging out in the kitchen. I opened the fridge for some reason lost to posterity and Blake became interested in the eggs. Now, Blake loves the fridge. It's one of his happy places, along with the dishwasher, the toilet and just about any cupboard in the house. He loves the challenge of racing to the fridge when we open it up, seeing if he'll get inside before we can shoo him away. Saturday he wanted to play with the eggs.

I must have taken leave of my senses, because I couldn't see the harm in it. I took out one brown egg and let him carry it around as he toddled through the kitchen. While he was doing his 'drunk in a high wind' toddler walk with a huge grin on his face, I started to envision the end of this experiment. Best case scenario, I figured he'd trip and smash the egg between his body and the floor. Worst case, he'd drop it over the side onto my father's computer.

I tried to coax the egg away, but Blake would have none of it – he wanted the egg and he wanted it NOW. How dare mumma take away his marvellous new toy? So we compromised: I picked him up to minimize the chances of an accident and he stopped screaming. One minute after he'd settled into my arms, he casually chucked the egg to one side.

I let out a sound somewhere between a screech and a moan.

We stared at the wreckage together, neither really believing that it'd come to this. And then I went for the paper towels. So much for that egg-speriment.


blake feels guilty. "it's the beating of that hideous egg!"

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 2/14/2005 08:13:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*