January 19, 2005
 
suck it up like a mom

The Boy went to work today. Granted, it's a shitty little warehouse job (pasting MADE IN CHINA stickers over MADE IN CANADA) but at least it gets him out of the house at an insanely early hour. Happily for him, he's used to getting up around 5:30 with Blake. But for me, a hard rain fell this morning. I shouldn't whine, though - the Boy fed Blake breakfast and my dad took Blake for another hour while I napped - so it wasn't like I had a real morning with the baby. That should start tomorrow, when the Boy returns to his warehouse o' fun and I have to suck it up like a mom.

Speaking of being a mom, Blake had a playdate with Dex & Eva, so the two of us bundled up & headed into the city after lunch. The only snag was a mysterious sleeping spell that settled over the babies: both Dex & Eva took exceptionally long afternoon naps right when we were supposed to meet. Blake also fell asleep very early, but I put him in the car anyway. In consequence, we were the only pair at the drop-in centre for more than an hour. Steph & Eva didn't show up at all.

But I can't say that I regret hauling ass into the city. Blake loves that centre and so do I. It's uniquely relaxed and friendly, with no programs or designated areas - just a large swirling chaos of happy kids & parents. Blake not only digs the old-fshioned toys (long live 70's Fisher Price!), he rises to the challenge of older kids. Good: he managed to climb onto a kitchen chair while Lisanne & I were talking. Bad: he tried to lower himself down the climbing gym and fell about 6 inches.

But even with the greater risks, there are still greater gains. He walks better, he talks better, he smiles more often - he even ate his commercial baby food, which I never expected in a million years. Something about that centre brings out the champ in my baby.


blake & the big boys

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 1/19/2005 02:27:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*