January 20, 2005
 
car seat

The hard rain didn't fall today, either. Last night Blakey went to sleep at 9, so when he woke up at 5:30, I decided that I should encourage a longer night's sleep. So we went to sleep until 8. I'm starting to think that if we can encourage him to sleep longer at night, his morning nap will disappear entirely. And I'll get to spend my last days as a SAHM in late-sleeping splendour.

How much would THAT rock!

Today we used the hand-me-down Stage 2 car seat for the first time. It's kind of a pain in my ass - not only was it hard to latch, but it was hard to work when Blake fell asleep and had to be carried into the house. Although I was heartily sick of hoisting his 20 pounds plus in that little infant seat, the one good feature was the ability to bring him in sleeping from the car. Bah.

Tonight the Boy & I went out to look for a new car-seat on the theory that once I go back to work we'll spend the rest of our lives transferring the seat from car to car unless we get a spare. I was all ready to order the cheapest model from the Sears catalogue, but the saleslady gave a rapturous pitch about the next seat in line. There's a sale on this week which should take out some of the sting should we decide to spend 60 more dollars, otherwise el cheapo's coming home with us in a few days.

Since we've been picture-deprived for the last little while, here's a few in the car-seat.


the last ride in the old seat


neither of us are entirely happy with the new seat

I know it's corny, but ever since we retired the old seat I've been seeing a flashback montage in my head. Getting the whole "travel system" from my cousins; taking Blake to Loftwyr & Monstre's house from the hospital (my first ride along-side); taking him to Miller's Country Fare at 8 days old and setting him up on the table; all of our 'mommy & me' outings this year; the time he got free and started dancing; feeding him on the road to Chicago; Dirk losing an entire cup of beer over the stroller; first taste of cereal; first haircut; parking him under the table during all the lunches after Baby Club; carrying him into the local gym; parking him next to the bathroom door so I could take a shower in the early months; sitting him on the kitchen table during breakfast in those same days; checking the seat at the airport; frantically buying more locking clips once we arrived in Edmonton...

It's a little unnerving how emotionally attached I've become to this car seat.


the very first car seat picture: december 16, 2003.

And now, just because this entry has been fairly boring so far (and I haven't even told you about making zucchini & tomato au gratin for an unwilling baby), here is a short conversation from last night.

Me: Are you ready to go to bed?
The Boy: Yes. I've already brushed my teeth.
Me: That makes one of us.
The Boy: Ew.
Me: Whatever. You'll still kiss me when I have no teeth. Besides, my insurance will spring for a nice set of falsies.
The Boy: If anyone's going to lose their teeth in this marriage, I think it should be me. I'm entitled.
Me: No argument here.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*