September 18, 2004
 
domestic goddess

Happy 28th birthday Little Spider! We can't make your birthday tonight (she calls all her friends out...for dinner at eight...we're home with the baby...it's really too late...) And we don't have a present anyway. But be happy & reckless. Woo!

So last night I slept 7 hours in a row. I'm saddened to note that I am not shooting rainbows out the tips of my fingers, nor am I able to respond to conversation in iambic pentameter. It hasn't made a terribly dramatic difference in my functioning. But it was fun nonetheless.

(Except for the part when I nursed Blake for the first time today & milk was SHOOTING out of the other breast. That was kind of creepy.)

I've recently begun a reclamation of my domestic goddess throne. First pregnancy then living with my parents made me incredibly lazy about making food, picking up after myself and doing laundry. Recently I've begun to fear that I'm not as tough as the other moms I know, the moms who raise a baby AND keep a house at the same time. These moms, it must also be noted, do not have a cast of trusted adults popping in & out of the house at all hours to take a tiresome baby off their hands for a few minutes. This is why I was secretly dreading my parents' vacation. What if I couldn't hack it? What if I had a complete breakdown & left Blake at the gas station? What if I took off for Edmonton?

As you might gather from the very first sentence (good use of tension there, me), none of those horrible outcomes manifested. In fact, I'm taking on a lot more than normal; whereas I might've been lazy about laundry or doing dishes before, now I know that they'll rot if I don't get at 'em. I haven't gone out to eat and I haven't eaten any of the frozen meals so thoughtfully left by my grandmother. Instead I've cooked dinner from scratch every night. Last night I really outdid myself: marinated steak, teriyaki portobello mushroom, steamed green beans, and a fresh pound cake. Funny story about that cake: the Boy called & said he would be late, so I sulked & pouted, put the baby to sleep all by myself, and made a cake instead of dinner. I figured that if he were really late, I'd just eat the cake & go to bed. But he came home in good time & we were able to gorge ourselves on beer & meat. (Hm. That wasn't very funny. I guess you had to be there.)

This has been a very validating week for me. The downside is that I'm now so confident that I want to move out right away. Finances be damned! I want my own kitchen.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 9/18/2004 10:39:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*