August 08, 2004
 
what i have been given

I have exactly 2 hours left in my 28th year. If I could have one special power granted to me in honour of my impending birthday, it would be the ability to put Blake to sleep. Our vacation has made him squirrelly. His bed time is moving around randomly and he'll get up in the middle of the night to play. Now that I'm reminded of why we had to start sleep training, I can't believe how good we had it before we left. The Boy &/or I spend 16 hours a day in bed, sleeping in shifts. Oh, the inhumanity.

Tomorrow is also Loftwyr's birthday, as he is ezzactly a decade older than me. I thought of him today as I thought back to my last birthday; this will always be the birthday in which he looked forward to the birth of his first child. It's a very nice birthday indeed.

In this vein, I started thinking about what the years have given me. And so that I may more expediantly finish (or, ahem, start) the tale of Preacher's wedding, I shall write a list that masquerades as an entry. It starts from my 16th birthday because I honestly feel like my life didn't really start until that magic phone call from the casual acquaintances that would become the best friends a girl ever had. Anyway.

My 28th year gave me a child. As we all know, he is the best baby in the universe.

My 27th year gave me crippling depression and a pregnancy that took me out of the darkness.

My 26th year gave me cruel tests to shake me out of my complacency & make a real teacher of the girl who skated through life.

My 25th year gave me a husband: a binding contract to the funnest (albeit smelliest) man on the planet. Also included were two excellent sisters & another interesting brother, no extra charge.

My 24th year gave me overwork & exhaustion, teaching me to lighten up a little if I want to stay healthy.

My 23rd year gave me the Boy. Oh, the Boy. It was all worth it.

My 22nd year gave me loneliness, balance, healing & a new appreciation of loyalty. And this journal, which taught me that I could write (about some things).

My 21st year gave me disgrace & madness. Like a juice fast, both these things did a remarkable job of cleansing my life.

My 20th year gave me 4 of the best friends I'll ever have: Scherezade, Preacher, Poet & Palaver.

My 19th year gave me love & sex. It also brought a new testing of my liver.

My 18th year gave me a kiss.

My 17th year gave me confidence & joy in friendships that lasted beyond a school day.

What will this year bring?

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 8/08/2004 10:20:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*