August 07, 2004
 
fibber island

To get to Fibber Island, you just close your eyes, start fibbin' in your mind, and see what you can find...

Today I went on an island picnic with Blake & the Boy. Blake crawled around on the grass, occasionally getting up enough speed to scare the ravenous seagulls. The Boy & I packed all of our favourite picnic foods: turkey sandwiches on crusty buns, slices of havarti cheese, grapes, bananas, almonds, pickles, cans of Diet Coke & slices of rhubarb cake for dessert. I wore my new white dress that opens in the front for nursing, and is diaphanous enough to hide my remaining childbirth paunch. It was an opportunity to wear my honeymoon straw hat, which only comes out for weddings these days.

We wandered through the hedge maze & took in a few rides & watched the ducks & played 25 cent skee ball & minted our own souvenir coins (remember those machines from Chuck E. Cheese?). We caught the last ferry of the day, the sky red & gold & splendid as the baby fell asleep in the stroller. I haven't laughed so much in months.

Or maybe I stayed inside today and had another fight with the Boy. Maybe I never changed out of my exercise pants, although I did nothing resembling exercise. Maybe Blake went to bed early but woke up within the hour, screaming his little throat hoarse despite any comfort we could offer. Maybe I spent 4 hours burning a CD for a package that may never be sent. Maybe I stared in the mirror for the umpteenth time & wondered if I could ever effect a positive change. Maybe my back hurts from futility.

Hard to tell, isn't it? You may as well just go with whatever seems most likely.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 8/07/2004 09:36:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*