August 06, 2004
 
do the hustle

Continuing the saga of my cousin's separation, my mother went on a fact-finding mission to another cousin. Ostensibly in search of a coffee urn, she was really out for the gossip. Turns out that my cousin was having an affair.

Sheesh. What a dumbass.

I try to have compassion for anyone who'll share something from his or her life, but I'm pretty old-school when it comes to implied monogamy. Specifically, I believe in honesty: if you honestly believe that your heart can never belong to one person, God bless you. But don't lie for fuck's sake. Have the courage to be an honest philanderer.

I'm not being very fair, I know. Not only am I judging from without, but I'm not allowing for their families: very traditional Italian/Portuguese families expect you to stay married & stay quiet for life. My cousin's mother has told me that she'd leave her husband if she were younger, but she's still horrified that her son didn't honour his vows.

Meh. At least I can breathe easy, knowing that this particular bullet is a lot more obvious than the subtle team of others that can insidiously kill a good marriage.

I've been sleeping a hell of a lot lately. Not only have I not slept through the night since last spring, but the time change of last week's western vacation wreaked havoc on my internal clock. Today I lay down for a nap with Blake at 11 and didn't wake up until 2. Even Blake had better things to do; he was carried off by his dad when he started to squawk. I woke up alone & very disoriented.

I'm missing the hustle of the Syngen household (our hosts in Edmonton). The great thing about being in a house of very small children is that there's always something going on. Our house of five adults & one baby seems awfully dead by comparison. And I know that Blake is missing Boudicca, the youngest Syngen. She was his inspiration & his joy.



the step they couldn't climb




Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*