December 21, 2003
 
high point

*Happy sigh of contentment*

With brief breaks for feeding, I have just slept a total of ten hours. I would feel guilty for not going to church, but the truth is that I was starting to hit a wall of sleep deprivation. At 1 a.m. this morning, Blake's crying didn't wake me - the Boy had to handle it. I haven't been taking advantage of my incredible sleeping baby: he goes for 5 hours straight in the night and I'm still so wound up about feeding him that I feel like I have to wake him every three. Last night at 3:30 he just refused to open his eyes. Smart baby.



he does look like me. i mean, like my baby pictures, not like my debauched short-black-skirted blue-haired adult self.

I myself feel 7 different kinds of wonderful right now. My belly is getting flatter every day (the good kind of flat that signals the end of pregnancy, not the sickly rapid-weight-loss kind of flat). The pain in my stitches went away 3 or 4 days ago. I've started to drink 3 litres of water a day, so my chapped lips and other dry symptoms are disappearing. Yesterday I started tidying the bedroom for the first time in weeks, an act that makes me feel in control of my own life. The Boy finally buckled and let me rent "Grosse Pointe Blank,"* so I've had John Cusak and an excellent 80's soundtrack for the past 16 hours (it takes me longer to watch movies now that I have to break for feeding, bathroom & sleep. But what a fantastic movie! It's Lloyd Dobler with no conscience & weapons training!) And the pre-labour section of my birth story is written; maybe I won't let it pass into obscurity after all!

Yep. Life is a pretty sweet fruit. :)


* You know how little tiny details can cascade? Well, looked at in a certain light, "Grosse Point Blank" is the movie that brought the Boy & I together. John Cusak did publicity for it in Toronto, and it was at this press conference that Scherezade met the Boy. He chased her for a bit, then fixed his sights on me. And the rest is...pretty thoroughly documented here. Except for the sex. And most of the arguments.

Brief update on feeding: it's still going like a charm. Blake sleeps very deeply at night, and my sleep dep has reached the point at which I'm starting to have difficulties waking even when he cries. Other than that, we're ticking along like a fine watch. I've fixed several flaws in my technique: I'm not waiting 3 hours between each meal (even when it means feeding every hour or so in the afternoon) and I've stopped waiting for him to get cranky before a feeding and holding his whole head when I'm trying to get him to latch. He's not good or placid all the time, but I wouldn't want a baby who was. I like an alert, wiggling baby best. Especially when it's Blake.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 12/21/2003 07:38:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*