November 28, 2003
 
blue friday

I'm just sitting here after a very long sleep, listing to "Blue Monday," reading blogs & thinking about how much I love the Boy. I don't think I've ever loved him as much as I have for the past few days. Do I have a reason?

Do I need a reason?

No baby, but there are two new entries as of yesterday. They would've been up last night, but Nic was on the phone, and by the time he got off, I lost interest in being awake. Hey, I just got a bed, people! Last night was the first night I've slept off the floor since last Friday. As Homer said, I had a lot of work to do around the bed.

I don't think I'm ever going to write about this properly, so some quick blog-exclusive notes on the topics I mentioned in the last post.

Friendly neighbourhood fire department

My mom & I went to the local fire station to get the car seat installed. As we pulled into the visitor's parking lot, we noticed a slow truck pulling in behind us.

"Uh, mom, I think you're in their spot," I joked. They headed right toward us and a guy got out. "Oh crap! I think we really are in their spot!"

But the chief was just interested in what brought us to the station. When he saw the carseat, he was blunt. "I don't know how to install these things, but I'll give it a shot. If I'm not fussy about the straps, I'll send you to the place where they're certified." For a full half-hour, we sat in the cold car while he & my mom fooled about with the straps & latches & buckles & hard-to-decipher instructions. We talked & joked & laughed. One by one, every fire fighter in the building came out to see what we were doing. It was exactly the way you pictured fire fighters when you were still young enough to believe that there were some adults who were automatically your friend, automatically put on this earth to help you through it. We had a great time.

The Mandarin

I've always been a bit ambivalent about the Mandarin - so much middle-quality Asian-type food, so many overweight patrons, so much line confusion. On my mother's birthday, I realized why the Mandarin will soon become my favourite restaurant of all time:
  1. there's a huge fish tank with lots of pretty fish in the wall
  2. there's lots and lots of staff. I get the feeling that Sprout could create an unholy mess without any of the staff blinking an eye, but more importantly
  3. it's loud as fuck in there. We were seated in the waterfall room, and you had to shout to make yourself heard. There was a little baby directly behind my chair, and when s/he started to cry, I barely even noticed. It's not club loud - I didn't get tinnitus or even a headache - but it's loud enough.

Next time I have to remember to put the lemon sauce on the lemon chicken. I thought it was redundant, but I found myself eating plain chicken. D'oh.




Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*