August 23, 2007
 
my knitting scouts merit badges

I've been in a merit badge mood all month. It started with You Can Do It! The merit badge handbook for grown up girls, which Martha had in the guest room during our stay in NY. It continued on through Mama Merit Badges, which I madly desire. And then I found out about these guys: Knitting Scouts. Seems that my sash is already filling out!

  1. The “Proselytize Knitting” Badge - A requirement for all Knitting Scouts, the recipient must do his or her bit to present knitting in a positive light, whilst at the same time avoiding all references to “hipness”, grandmothers, and yoga. I talk up knitting, Knit in Public, and started a knitting club at work to teach my co-workers to knit.
  2. The “MacGyver” Badge (Level One) - The recipient must demonstrate clever use of a non-knitting tool in a knitting-related scenario. For instance, recipient has used paper clips as stitch markers, or successfully whittled and then utilized bamboo skewers as dpns. I've used the paper clip trick and also 1-inch decorative pins to show RS.
  3. The “Knitting Whilst Under the Influence” Badge - This applies to both actual knitting under the influence, as well as achieving moments of stunning intellectual clarity about ones knitting under the influence. Presumes talking about knitting whilst under the influence a given. Every month, baby
  4. The “I Will Impress You With My Math Prowess” Badge - The recipient is a whiz at substituting yarns and calculating gauge, can space increases and decreases evenly and is fully comfortable with the basic math encountered in all knitting projects. I'm generally good at this stuff, although sometimes I am hit with a fit of stupidity.
  5. The “I’ve Knit Items With No Conceivable Practical Application” Badge - Recipients are those “special” campers who have knit items which somehow missed the mark of their intended application. There are probably more who are deserving of this badge than one would expect. Cutie baby hats that would fit an adult, weird technology cozies, undersized clothes pin bags...
  6. The “I’ve Been Published in a Knitting Magazine” badge - The recipient has been published in a print or online knitting magazine, in this case, Knitty. 'Vog on!

Labels: ,




Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*