August 11, 2005
 
mom-groove is in the heart

Today I tried to re-establish my mom-groove by taking Blake to Kew Gardens to meet up with a few Baby Club alumni. It was pretty underwhelming: I spent all of my time running after Blake as he got filthier and filthier (the sand box with the wee huts & counters was a particular favourite) and the conversation I ran by was all about products. Plus, shortly after I greased him with sunblock, he wandered in the path of a big, heavy swing and got clipped on the back of the head. It was like every anxiety filmstrip that's ever run through my head, only it was my child flying through the air, my child lying face-down in woodchips, my child too stunned to cry. I was so upset that I apologized over and over to the mom of the kid on the swing--I just couldn't process anything other than the awfulness of the moment. Blake was fine; he was covered in woodchips (most of which rubbed onto me during post-owie nursing) but not concussed. Kind of took the glow off the day, though.

We tried to hook up with the Boy or Dirk for a big city lunch, but both were incommunicado, so I went to Bread & Roses instead. I discovered a happy fact: Blake has mutated into an awful restaurant patron, but only when he is with more than one person. When it's just the two of us, I have no one else to include in my mind and can feed him a steady stream of fruit salad in-between bites of my turkey sandwich. He didn't even mind staying in his stroller for the whole visit (although his favourite part of the day was when we returned to the big puddle in the parking lot. He was able to escape while I loaded the car, and he much enjoyed my mock-anguished screams as he splashed around.).

My other big thing today was continuing my needle case. I started it yesterday during our rainy day indoors, as my mom just happened to have upholstery samples lying around unused. Since I don't sew, the challenge consumed me and I spent hours finishing it up when Blake was in bed. Tomorrow my task is to finish the darn thing: embroidery, ribbons & one wee seam to go. I can sort of glimpse why Stacy digs this so much.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 8/11/2005 08:24:00 p.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*