March 26, 2005
 
putting on lipstick

The really great thing about the Internet is that you can post some silly squib about the time in highschool when your feelings were hurt and then, almost 7 years later, the author of that hurt feeling will email you an apology. Good old Google.

… a few years ago I came across this site, and read your blog. I'm unsure if I ever sent my apologies, or if I did, am equally unsure if you ever got them. I remember even asking Nic to deliver an apology long overdue last time I saw him.

At any rate, doing a "Marilyn's Vitamins" google search again brought your site up. To be perfectly honest, I don't remember at all what happened, what I said, or which girls I wanted to impress - but I take your word it that I was a jerk.

Again, I duly apologize, and feel terrible - even after all these years.

Aww. (The Boy says that he’s just trying to rack up “Billy Madison” points, to which I say: always assume that I have access to a deadly weapon.) I wrote back that the sins of seventeen should never be cast up to twenty-eight. Now that I have my apology, I can afford to be magnanimous.

It’s the Easter weekend (already) and I really wish that my vacations were a bit more spread out. I’m not going to have another holiday until Victoria Day in late May. Sounds like the perfect excuse for a well-timed sick day.

Teaching has gone extraordinarily well this term. I think I’m a little remiss in my parental contacts (perpetual player in the Phone Tag matches, that’s me) but other than that I’m more-or-less pleased with the way the year is going. I have a lot of students who are failing, but I always do when I teach those levels. I don’t really concern myself with it anymore: I give detentions, I contact the office, I work with Special Ed & Counseling, I phone parents, I make up new assignments and new deadlines – and they still fail. My position at this point is that I’m doing my job; it’s time they did theirs.

I’m starting to channel a whole lot of my creativity into my teaching, including my bizarre urge to be noticed through my wardrobe. Friday was another Spirit Day (you know you have a weak Student Council when…) and the teachers were asked to dress up in pink and/or purple. Now, I’ve worn my pink spiked hoodie two Fridays in a row, so I decided to leave it at home this week and concentrate on some of the other pink bits in my wardrobe. Luckily I have a long skirt that’s a paisley print of both colours, so I didn’t have to break out the pink PVC bunny skirt. (I did, however, wear my long pink bunny ears all day.) My only real dilemma was in choosing striped tights for the occasion, as I have both. I finally decided on my pink ones; they’ve hardly been worn since I took ‘em home from the Nederlands.

We all know that I don’t try to be cool; there’s nothing that’ll lead you into dangerously unprofessional situations faster than the perpetual race to be cool. If I were cool, I’d be doing a piss-poor job of teaching; I can’t be both effective and cool. That being said, I have girl in my 11 Faiths who showed up one day in a hot pink tutu. She understands me exactly. “I like your style, Miss.”

My mom & I started counting the number of words he says now. Discounting simple mimicry and nonsense words (“buckabiday”), and restricting ourselves to words he can concretely attach to objects, actions and contexts, my child has a vocab of over 70 words.


one of those words is bucket. Another is be bop.

- 0 comments/hedgehogs -

- Rocketbride's adventure of 3/26/2005 09:39:00 a.m.



Powered by Blogger

The contents of this site, unless otherwise noted, are copyright Rocketbride 1997-2009.
Don't make me send out the Blake. He doesn't listen to *anyone.*